Spend a weekend riding, shuttling, and adventuring with friends and family.
No uphill, maximum descending time on following trails built by one of SA’s best trail builders. Bring along some mates, family, beers and enjoy rolling mountainous landscape, hiking, or a ride down to the Joubertspruit river. Try climbing, swimming, & evening braai’s, and you have a recipe for the escape we have all been craving.
Suitable for family, only 3hrs from JHB and immersed in the mountains just outside Waterval Boven.
What are shuttles, you ask? Essentially like a ski lift for mountain bikers. Don’t be fooled into thinking it’s not exercise. After 10 full runs, you’ll have done 40km of descending, honed your skills, and stressed the glutes, quads & arms. You’ll be deserving of that beer at the end of the day.
The way Bike Market lads would plan the weekend away.
- Get some friends together.
- Book your beds & shuttle – email@example.com
- afternoon: pack your bikes & head East.
- Drive to Tranquilitas in 3 hours, bring a Woolies lasagne and pop into the well-equipped self-catering cottage or farmhouse oven.
- No shuttles!
- Morning 45km ride, An explorative out ride on awesome natural trails.
- Pedal to the top and around on the mountain traverse. Head down Morphine for a tech and rocky long decent. Be sure to stop, let the others catch up and enjoy the view on this intermediate trail.
- A shorter pedal up past camp and then head down the trail X deep into the valley. (Trail X and the traverse aren’t easily shuttled so best to explore these on fresh legs.)
- Spend the rest of the afternoon around camp, swimming and enjoying evening sundowners with magic views.
- Braai & beers around the campfire.
- Grab a cappuccino at 7:30, shuttles pick up from camp at 7:45.
- Head up and flow down the three trails that start from the trailhead. Fireball, Gobstopper & Gumdrop which range between 3.8km-4.5km (2000m above sea level)
- Have the most fun you’ve had on a bike, flow with your mates, chat about the last trail on the way back up and repeat, repeat, repeat!
Sound like a plan? Share this article link with your friends. Set up a calendar event, invite your mates, and book now.
More about Tranquilitas Farm
A small and well-kept secret. The adventure camp near Waterval Boven established its self as a climbing venue in 2006. It is now a center for all adrenaline seekers.
Whether you are coming for the mountain biking, trail running or rock climbing you will find excitement here.
The campsite offers a variety of affordable accommodation options, from camping to a luxurious self-catering farmhouse.
Not many trail centers have 4-5km of downhill flow-runs. Tranquilitas has 4 such lines, where not a single pedal-stroke is required to descend the entire run. These trails cater to all skill levels and can be ridden with most bikes. Shuttle services are offered to groups on request.
There are a variety of other well-marked trails to choose from, with gentle contouring climbs and flowing descents. Trails have options of easy or technical terrain and distances vary to accommodate all fitness levels. Altitude is a great equalizer and distances can be deceptive, so even some of the shorter trails are challenging.
The trailhead is situated at the campsite and all routes through the forest and mountains offer glimpses of the historical sites, landmarks, and stunning scenery.
Secret Forest: (Blue Arrows) 7km
Rooibaard: (Red Arrows) 12.5km
Black Magic (Black Arrows) 4.5km
Trail X: (Orange Arrows) 2,5km one way – 5 km return
The Gink (Pink arrows) 18km 349m elevation
Beginner/Intermediate – most popular route
Mountain Traverse (Yellow arrows) 36 km 986m elevation
Intermediate/Advanced – technical/strenuous
Shuttle trails (Purple arrows) 3,8km to 4,5km, 300m descent
3 flow trails of similar length and gradient (Fireball, Gobstopper & Gumdrop) – can be ridden at any time but can also be shuttled by prior arrangement (vehicle uplift).
Ask at the reception for the shuttle run options.
The Tranquilitas Rim Trail: 8 km return
Jump Track /4X track
A great attraction for children is the 4 X track of 800m gravity trail of jumps and berms.
Permit fees :
All riders must have permits.
Day permit R60
2-Day permit R90
Week- permit R160
Shuttle x 4 uplifts R200.
Riding permits are available from Tranquilitas Farm Coffee shop.